Smart Type Code Completion. Completing Code Based on Type Information
Thus, you can use smart type completion in the situations, when it is possible to determine the appropriate type:
- In the right part of the assignment statements.
- In variable initializers.
- In the list of parameters of a method call.
newkeyword in an object declaration.
To use smart type code completion
- Do one of the following:
SmartType code completion automatically highlights selection in the suggestion list that seems most suitable for the current context. Such results display on a darker green background.
For example, consider smart type code completion after the
newkeyword in Java:
or in Groovy:
As you type, the suggestion list reduces to show matching entries only.
- If necessary, press Ctrl+Shift+Space once more.
Thus you can complete, for example:
- Chained expressions.
- Collections, lists and arrays. IntelliJ IDEA searches for the symbols with the same component type and suggest to convert them.
- Static method calls or constant references. IntelliJ IDEA scans for the static methods and fields, but suggests only the ones with the type suitable in the current context.