Running Inspections Offline
On this page:
- Launching a code inspection from the command line
- Viewing the results of an offline inspection
In addition to running code inspections from the main menu, or from the context menus of the Project tool window, you can also launch the inspector from the command line, without actually running IntelliJ IDEA.
This way you can perform regular code inspections as a part of your development process, which is especially important for large projects. Inspection results are stored in the XML format.
Launching a code inspection from the command line
To launch a code inspection from the command line
- Specify the following command line arguments:
- Path to the launcher: specify the full path
to one of the following launchers (which reside under the
bindirectory of your IntelliJ IDEA installation):
- Project file path is the full path to the directory that contains the project to be inspected.
- Inspection profile path is the full path to the
profile, against which the project should be inspected. The inspection profiles are stored
- Output path is the full path to an existing directory where the report will be stored.
- Options. You can specify:
- Path to the launcher: specify the full path to one of the following launchers (which reside under the
C:\Program Files (x86)\JetBrains\<IntelliJ IDEA home>\bin\inspect.bat E:\SampleProjects\MetersToInchesConverter E:\Work\MyProject\.idea\inspectionProfiles\Project_Default.xml E:\Work\MyProject\inspection-results-dir -v2 -d E:\SampleProjects\MetersToInchesConverter\subdirectory
/Applications/IntelliJ IDEA.app/Contents/bin/inspect.sh ~/IntelliJ IDEAProjects/MyTestProject ~/Library/Preferences/ideaXX/inspection/Default.xml ~/IntelliJ IDEAProjects/MyTestProject/results-dir -v2
Viewing the results of an offline inspection
If you have performed an offline inspection and exported the inspection results to a directory in the XML format you can always download and view these results.
To view the results of an offline inspection, follow these steps
- Open the project against which the inspection was performed.
- On the main menu, choose .
- In the Select Path dialog box that opens, navigate to the directory that contains inspection results in XML format.
- Click OK. Inspection results display in the Offline View tab in the Inspection tool window.