Enabling Java EE Application Support
This feature is supported in the Ultimate edition only.
This topic discusses the features that become available when you turn on the JavaEE Application option.
- Overview of the features
- Turning on the JavaEE Application option
- Managing deployment descriptors
- Managing application artifacts
For the JavaEE Application option and associated features to be available:
- You should be using the ULTIMATE Edition of IntelliJ IDEA. (The corresponding functionality is not available in the Community Edition.)
- The Java EE: EJB, JPA, Servlets plugin must be enabled. (This plugin is bundled with the IDE and enabled by default.)
Overview of the features
When you turn on the JavaEE Application option, IntelliJ IDEA:
META-INF/application.xml, an enterprise application archive deployment descriptor.
- Creates a Java EE Application facet that lets you specify the locations of your
application.xmland application server-specific deployment descriptors (e.g.
- Creates an Exploded EAR artifact configuration.
- Makes various quick fixes available in the Project Structure dialog, e.g. for synchronizing
application.xmlwith the structure of your EAR artifact.
- Makes the JavaEE:App tool window available.
If you turn on the JavaEE Application option when creating a project or module and specify an application server, IntelliJ IDEA also creates a run/debug configuration for that server.
Turning on the JavaEE Application option
You can turn on the JavaEE Application option:
- When creating a project or module (New Project or the New Module wizard, select Java Enterprise, and then select the JavaEE Application check box under Additional Libraries and Frameworks. or ). On the first page of the
- For an existing module. In the Project tool window ( ), right-click the module folder and select Add Framework Support. Then select the JavaEE Application check box in the dialog that opens.
Managing deployment descriptors
You can manage your
application.xml and server-specific deployment descriptor files in the Project Structure dialog:
- Open the Project Structure dialog (e.g. Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S).
- In the leftmost pane, select Modules or Facets.
- In the pane to the right, select javaEEApplication.
- On the page that opens in the right-hand part of the dialog, form the list of deployment descriptors for your application.
Managing application artifacts
To deploy your application to a server, you need an application artifact. For Java EE applications, IntelliJ IDEA provides the following artifact formats:
- JavaEE Application: Exploded. This is a decompressed enterprise application archive (EAR), a directory structure that is ready for deployment onto an application server.
- JavaEE Application: Archive. This is, obviously, an EAR file.
To manage your artifact configurations, use the Project Structure dialog ( ).
See also, Working with Artifacts.