Executing Tests on Zeus Server
This feature is supported in the Ultimate edition only.
The following is only valid when Ruby Plugin is installed and enabled!
Before you start working with Ruby, make sure that Ruby plugin is installed and enabled. The plugin is not bundled with IntelliJ IDEA.
Also make sure that the following prerequisites are met:
- Ruby SDK is downloaded and installed on your machine.
- The required framework SDKs are downloaded and installed on your machine.
Refer to their respective download and installation pages for details:
In this section:
Running test suits sometimes involves overheads, because every time a test suit is executed, the whole environment (for example, the entire environment for applications) should be reloaded. You can avoid it using the Zeus server, which loads the environment only once.
With the Zeus server running in the background, you have a choice to execute any testing script using the Zeus server, or locally.
To run a test script using the Zeus server
- Make sure that Zeus server is launched using IntelliJ IDEA and is running in the background.
- Run a test script, or one of its examples. Note that the option Zeus is automatically selected in the corresponding run configuration. If you want to run this test locally, you have to select the option None.
To debug tests, when using Zeus, follow these general steps
- Make sure the breakpoints are set in the test script you want to debug.
- On the main toolbar, click the run/debug configuration selector, and choose .
- In the Run/Debug Configurations dialog box, create run/debug configuration for Zeus server. Refer to the section Creating and Editing Run/Debug Configurations for detailed description of the procedure.
- Launch Zeus in the debug mode. To do that, with the Zeus run/debug configuration selected, click , or press Shift+F9.
- With the Zeus server running in the debug mode, run the desired test script.
Tips and tricks
- IntelliJ IDEA creates a temporary run/debug configuration for Zeus server. Later you can change this run/debug configuration as required, save it as permanent, and use it to launch the server.
- If both Zeus and Spork DRb servers are running simultaneously, it is Zeus that gets priority.
- If you are going to run RSpec tests under Zeus server, make sure to use Zeus version 0.13.4.pre2, or higher.