Prerequisites for Android Development
Before you start writing your first "Hello, world" Android application in IntelliJ IDEA, do the following:
- Download and install JDK 7.
- Download the Android SDK tools.
- Run the installer to launch the Android SDK Tools Setup wizard:
First, the wizard checks if the Java SDK is installed. Next, choose the installation options and specify the destination folder. We strongly recommend that the path to the Android SDK home directory does not contain spaces.
- After the installation has completed successfully, you need to add SDK packages using the SDK Manager. On the last page of the Android SDK Tools Setup wizard, select the Start SDK Manager option and click Finish.
- In the Android SDK Manager, select the packages you want to install (for detailed instructions, refer to Adding SDK Packages).
For the procedures covered in our tutorials, you can leave the default selections. You can always launch the SDK Manager if you need to install more packages. To invoke it, in the main menu, choose Tools | Android | SDK Manager.