Make Method Static
Performing the Refactoring
- Select the method to be refactored in the Structure view, or right-click the method name in the editor. On the main menu, or on the context menu of the selection, choose . The Make Method Static dialog box opens.
- If the method references any of the containing class fields, do one of the following:
- To pass the whole referenced object as a parameter to the method, select the Add object as a parameter with name checkbox and enter the name for the parameter.
- To pass the referenced fields/variables as parameters to the method, select the Add parameters for fields checkbox and select the appropriate fields in the list. You can also change the order of the parameters using the Move Up and Move Down buttons.
- If the method does not contain any references to fields or instance variables, you should only specify whether you want to replace instance qualifiers with class references.
- To preview the results, click Preview and examine the reuslt of the refactoring in the Find tool window. Apply the changes, if no issues arizs.
Make Static refactoring for a method in a call hierarchy
In call hierarchies, if the method callers don't contain any other references to instance members, IntelliJ IDEA suggests that you make those callers static too.
In this example, the refactoring was performed on
baz(int i). All the caller methods were selected for making static too.