In this section:
Before you start
- Download and install the Node.js runtime environment.
- Install and enable the NodeJS plugin. The NodeJS plugin is not bundled with IntelliJ IDEA, but it can be installed from the JetBrains plugin repository as described in Installing, Updating and Uninstalling Repository Plugins and Enabling and Disabling Plugins.
Quick start with a Node.js application
IntelliJ IDEA makes it easier to create, run, debug, and test Node.js applications. Here we will use a simple Express application as an example.
- Choose on the main menu or click the New Project button on the Welcome screen.
- In the Project Category and Options dialog, which is the first page of the New Project wizard, choose Node.js and NPM in the left-hand pane.
- In the right-hand pane, choose Node.js Express App and click Next.
- On the second page of the wizard, specify the project folder, the Node.js interpreter, and the version of express=generator to use. In the Options area, choose the template and the CSS to use.
- When you click Finish, IntelliJ IDEA generates a Node.js Express-specific project with all the required configuration files.