Preparing to Develop a Google App for PHP Application
This feature is only supported in the Ultimate edition.
The following is only valid when PHP Plugin is installed and enabled!
IntelliJ IDEA takes care of creating the specific directory structure and settings. IntelliJ IDEA can either generate a Google App Engine for PHP-specific project stub or you can enable support of Google App Engine for PHP in an existing project.
- Before you start
- Creating a project stub of a Google App Engine for PHP application
- Activating the Google App Engine support in an existing project
Before you start
- Download and install Python, version 2.7.
- Download and install the Google App Engine for PHP.
- Install and enable the Google App Engine Support for PHP plugin. The plugin is not bundled with IntelliJ IDEA, but it can be installed from the JetBrains plugin repository as described in Installing, Updating and Uninstalling Repository Plugins and Enabling and Disabling Plugins. The plugin is not bundled with IntelliJ IDEA, but it can be installed from the JetBrains plugin repository as described in Installing, Updating and Uninstalling Repository Plugins and Enabling and Disabling Plugins.
- Create a Google account at http://www.google.com.
- Create an application on the Create application page of the Google App Engine and remember its application ID, you will have to specify it during the creation of a project.
Creating a project stub of a Google App Engine for PHP application
- Choose New Project button on the Welcome screen. on the main menu or click the
- In the Project Category and Options dialog, which is the first page of the New Project wizard, choose PHP in the left-hand pane.
- In the right-hand pane, choose App Engine Project and click Next.
- On the second page of the wizard, specify the following:
- The name of the project and the folder to create it in.
- The version of the template to use.
- In the Application ID text box, type the identifier of your application as you specified it on the Create application page.
- In the SDK directory test box, specify the path to the folder where the Google App Engine SDK for PHP is installed.
- The location of the Python executable file. Type the path manually in the Python executable text box or click the Browse button and choose the Python executable in the dialog box that opens.
IntelliJ IDEA creates a project with the
main.php file and the app.yaml configuration file. The
app.yaml file contains the generated settings for the runtime (should be
php55), the api_version, the applicationID, the application version (by default is 1), the threadsafe element with the value
true to enable sending multiple, parallel requests, and the Script handlers
script (with the value
Activating the Google App Engine support in an existing project
- Open the Settings / Preferences Dialog by pressing Ctrl+Alt+S or by choosing for Windows and Linux or for macOS. Expand the Languages & Frameworks node, and then click Google App Engine for PHP under PHP.
- On the Google App Engine for PHP page that opens, select the Enable Google App Engine for PHP support checkbox and specify the following:
- The folder where the Google App Engine for PHP SDK is stored.
- The path to the Python 2.7 executable file.
- In the App Engine Account Settings area, choose the way to authenticate to the development server, the available options are: