Creating Rails Application Elements
IntelliJ IDEA helps populate your Rails applications with the stubs of all the required elements, and provides the following ways of launching the generators:
- The standard Alt+Insert functionality.
- command on the main menu.
- command on the main menu
generatescript with the element name specified as a parameter, and a list of arguments. As a result, IntelliJ IDEA produces the required application elements and places them to the proper locations of the directory structure.
Creating Rails application elements
To create a stub of a Rails application element
- Do one of the following:
- On the main menu, choose .
- Press Ctrl+Shift+A, start typing
Run Rails generatorsand press Enter:
- In the pop-up frame that opens, start typing the desired generator name, or its part. As you type, the suggestion list shrinks to show the matching entries only:
- In the dialog box that opens, specify the name of the new application element, and a list of arguments.
Besides that, choose the desired environment:
- If necessary, select the checkboxes that correspond to the general options of the
- Click OK. IntelliJ IDEA runs the
generatescript and displays output messages in the dedicated tab of the Run tool window:
Note that the action of creating Rails application elements can be rolled back. So doing, all the created files will be deleted: