Android Support Overview
To support Android development, IntelliJ IDEA provides a dedicated Android Support plugin. This plugin is bundled with the IDE and is enabled by default.
Android support in IntelliJ IDEA includes:
- Gradle-based build system for Android applications.
- Smart XML editor that facilitates working with layout, manifest, resources and other XML files.
- A graphical editor for layout files: build the design of your application without having to edit the XML files manually.
- Enhanced navigation between related files: navigate between layout files and the associated activities, or a service and the manifest file, etc. via gutter icons.
- Automatic generation of basic layout files.
- Android-specific code inspections, including integrated Android Lint inspections.
- Possibility to preview your application UI on different devices at the same time.
- Access to SQLite Databases right from the IDE.
- Built-in 9-patch editor.
- Detection of mismatched resource types in Android APIs and your own libraries and APIs with the help of resource type annotations.
- Possibility to automatically rearrange XML attributes according to predefined rules.
- Dedicated Android run/debug configurations.
- Dedicated Android artifacts.
Last modified: 4 September 2018