Navigating to Super Method or Implementation
IntelliJ IDEA provides an easy way to navigate up and down through the hierarchy of methods. If a method is overridden / implemented by a certain method, or overrides / implements some method itself, it is marked with an icon in the gutter area of the editor. When the mouse cursor hovers over such icon, the method information is displayed as the tooltip:
- : This method implements a method required by an implemented interface or extended abstract class.
- : This method of an interface or an abstract class is implemented by one or more descendants.
- : This method overrides a method defined by its superclass.
- : This method or field is overridden / implemented by one or more subclasses.
Use these icons, shortcuts, or menu commands to navigate to the corresponding points of origin.
Navigating through the hierarchy of methods
To navigate up and down through the method hierarchy, do one of the following:
- Click the gutter icon and select the desired ascendant or descendant class from the list.
- On the main menu, choose , or respectively.
- Press Ctrl+U or Ctrl+Alt+B for the super method or implementation respectively.