Getting Started with Vaadin-Maven Project
IntelliJ IDEA lets you create and manage a Maven project with Vaadin archetype.
- Creating Maven project with Vaadin archetype
- Import an external Vaadin project with Maven
- Configure run/debug settings and run application
Creating Maven project with Vaadin archetype
- Open Project Wizard, under Maven, select Create from archetype checkbox and click Add archetype.
- In the dialog that opens, enter maven GroupId, ArtifactId and Version.
- After you click OK, the Vaadin archetype is added to the list of available archetypes. Click Next.
- On the next page of the wizard, enter maven information for your project and click Next.
- On the next page of the wizard, enter maven settings for your project and click Next.
- On the next page of the wizard, enter your project's information and click Finish.
IntelliJ IDEA creates a maven project with pom.xml. IntelliJ IDEA also recognizes that this is a Web application and creates a webapp in your source directory.
Import an external Vaadin project with Maven
You can import external Vaadin project using VCS and check out your project from, for example, Git. In this case IntelliJ IDEA automatically converts your project structure, detects necessary frameworks and downloads appropriate dependencies.
- In the Project Wizard, click Check out from Version Control and from the drop-down list, select Git.
- Specify Git Repository from which you want to clone your project, a Parent Directory location and the name of the parent directory. Click Clone.
IntelliJ IDEA copies git project to your local directory, recognizes POM file, meaning it recognizes that this is a Maven project with Vaadin framework and imports the project with all the necessary configurations.
- Check project structure to make sure that all necessary dependencies are downloaded.
The frameworks are configured automatically, so you can exclude the detected ones.
Configure run/debug settings and run application
IntelliJ IDEA lets you quickly configure Run/Debug settings for your project.
- On the main menu, select .
- Click to add a new configuration from the list, specify the appropriate parameters for your configuration and press OK.
- On the main menu press to run the application.
You can view the output in the default browser