IntelliJ IDEA supports the following toolkits for developing Java mobile applications:
IntelliJ IDEA integration with those toolkits is based on the J2ME plugin. This plugin is bundled with the IDE and enabled by default.
Preparing for Java mobile application development
- Download and install a JDK and one of the supported Java mobile toolkits.
- Make sure that the J2ME plugin is enabled, see Making sure that the J2ME plugin is enabled.
- Define the JDK and the mobile toolkit in IntelliJ IDEA. (In IntelliJ IDEA, the supported Java mobile toolkits are referred to as mobile SDKs). See Defining a JDK and a mobile SDK in IntelliJ IDEA.
- Create a project with a J2ME module, see Creating a project with a J2ME module.
- If necessary, configure the compilation settings specific to Java mobile applications, see Configuring Java mobile-specific compilation settings.
Making sure that the J2ME plugin is enabled
Even though the J2ME plugin is enabled by default, it's always worth making sure that this plugin is still enabled before you start developing a Java mobile application. To do that:
- Press Ctrl+Alt+S to open the Settings/Preferences dialog and then go to .
- In the right-hand part of the dialog, type
j2in the search box. As a result, only the plugins whose names and descriptions contain
j2are shown in the list of plugins.
- If the checkbox to the left of J2ME is not selected, select it.
- Click OK in the Settings dialog.
- If suggested, restart IntelliJ IDEA.