On this page:
These files are marked with the icon .
IntelliJ IDEA also recognizes properties files in XML format. They are marked with the icon .
Properties file features
IntelliJ IDEA supports the following features for the properties files:
- Action for creating new resource bundles.
- Ability to work with XML-based properties files.
- Actions for combining and dissociating properties files.
key - delimiter - value. IntelliJ IDEA uses
=(equal sign) or
:(colon) as a delimiter.
For example, if you want a field label to read "Your name:", you might create a pair in a properties file like this:
nameLabel: "Your name:"
- Error highlighting for errors like missing locale records, or duplicate property keys and invalid escape sequences:
- Inspection and quick fix for detecting and removing duplicate keys in properties files:
- Referencing properties from Java files and Ant build files.
- Code completion for property keys:
- Inspection and quick fix for detecting and creating the missing property keys and values:
- Goto Declaration Ctrl+B to navigate from a reference to a key to its declaration:
- Finding usages of the currently selected property.
- Refactoring for properties includes Rename, Move, Copy, Safe Delete, and Migrate.
- Structure view for properties files:
- Quick Definition Lookup for properties files: if an action calls a property, you can view the property definition by pressing Ctrl+Shift+I: