Finding Text in File
MPS lets you find and replace text strings in an active editor.
Search through the current file
- From the main menu, choose Edit | Find | Find, or press Ctrl+F. The search pane appears on top of the active editor.
- If necessary, specify the search options.
- In the search field, start typing the search string:
As you type, the first occurrence of the search string after the current cursor position is selected; the other occurrences are highlighted in the editor. In addition, the matching occurrences are marked in the right gutter with stripes.
- To search for a multi-line fragment, click in the search box or press Shift+Alt+Enter .
- Explore the search results.
Working with search results
- To initiate a new search, do one of the following (depending on the current focus):
In both cases, the existing search string will be selected, and you can start typing a new one.
- To jump between occurrences, do one of the following:
- The search pane shows the number of found occurrences. If no matches are found, the search pane becomes red:
- Use the recent search history: with the search pane already open, click to show the list of recent entries.
- To cancel the operation and close the pane, press Escape.
- Use multiple selection (multiselection). For example, if a certain string has been highlighted as a search result, it is possible to add an occurrence of this string to multiple selection by clicking (Alt+J), delete an occurrence from multiple selection using (Shift+Alt+J), or add all found occurrences to multiple selection using (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+J).
|Click this button to show the history of the recent entries.|
|Click this button to clear the search field.|
|Click these buttons to navigate through the occurrences of the search string.|
|Click this button to add the next found occurrence to a multiple selection.|
|Click this button to remove the found occurrence from a multiple selection.|
|Click this button to create a selection that contains all the found occurrences.|
|Click this button to show search results in the Find tool window.|
|Match Case||If this check box is selected, MPS will distinguish between upper and lowercase letters while searching.|
|Regex||If this check box is selected, the search string will be perceived as a regular expression, and the replacement preview is shown in a tooltip ( Refer to the section Example).|
|Words||if this check box is selected, MPS will search for whole words only, that is, for character strings separated with spaces, tabs, punctuation, or special characters. |
This check box is disabled, if the Regular expressions check box is selected.