Using Suggestion List
On this page:
- Navigating through the suggestion lists
- Completing selection
- Using method parameters placeholders
- Viewing reference information in the suggestion lists
- Sorting entries in a suggestion list
- Viewing hierarchy in a completion pop-up
- Closing a suggestion list
AppCode provides handy ways to make your selection, complete the source code, sort entries, and view reference information without leaving the suggestion list.
Navigating through the suggestion lists
To navigate through the suggestion lists, use the mouse cursor or the ↑ and ↓ arrow keys.
- Use ⏎ to insert the selected string at the insertion point.
- Use ⇥ to replace the string next to the caret with the selected one.
- Use ⌃⇧⏎ to make the current code construct syntactically correct (balance parentheses, add missing braces and semicolons, etc.)
It is possible to type any part of a word,
even the characters located somewhere in the middle:
That's why asterisk character doesn't get any special processing as a wildcard.
Please note the following:
- If, invoking an action, you don’t get what you want immediately, invoke this action again by pressing the same shortcut.
- Most suitable variants in the suggestion list are displayed on top of the list.
- Entries in bold font on top of the list denote symbols defined in the current class. All the other symbols are shown below.
Using method parameters placeholdersWhen you choose a method call from the suggestions list, the IDE inserts placeholders for argument values that include a name and a type of a parameter: Upon completing selection from the suggestion list, you can replace the placeholders with the actual arguments values.
Viewing reference information in the suggestion lists
- Use the Quick Definition View. If you select an entry in a list and press ⌃⇧I, AppCode displays the following quick information pop-up window:
- Quick Information View works in a suggestion list. If you select an entry in a list, and press ⌃Q, AppCode displays the following quick information pop-up window:
Sorting entries in a suggestion list
To sort entries in a suggestion list:
- Click or in the lower-right corner of the list to toggle between sorting in alphabetical order, or by relevance.
Please note the following:
- The sorting icon appears in the list if it is long enough. For few entries only sorting icon is not displayed.
- Use mouse only to click this icon.
- AppCode memorizes the type of sorting.
- Default behavior is defined in the Code Completion page of the Editor settings.
Viewing hierarchy in a completion pop-up
To view hierarchy in a completion pop-up, follow these steps:
- Start typing the source code, and press ⌃⇧Space or⌃Space. The suggestion list appears.
- While in the suggestion list, press⌃H. The Hierarchy tool window shows the type hierarchy of the class, selected in the suggestion list.
Closing a suggestion list
Close suggestion lists with ⎋, then enter your own code at the code completion position.