Opening and Reopening Files in the Editor
In this section:
- Opening files for editing
- Opening external files
- Opening directories
- Reopening files
- Opening files in separate window
Opening files for editing
To open a file for editing
Do one of the following:
- Double-click the desired file in one of the Tool Windows.
- Select the desired file in one of the Tool Windows and press ⌘↓.
- Select the desired file in the one of the Tool Windows and choose Jump to Source on the context menu.
- Use the Navigate command for a Class, File, or Symbol.
- Click the desired directory in the Navigation bar, and select file from the drop-down list:
If the file type is registered, the file opens silently in AppCode's editor.
If the file type is registered under the category Files opened in associated applications, it will be opened in its associated application, rather than in the AppCode editor. By default, AppCode suggests a number of such file types, for example
User interface files, (
.storyboard) are opened in the UI Designer.
If necessary, you can open these types of files as XML in AppCode editor. To do so, right-click file in the Project view and choose Open ad XML in the context menu.
If the file type is unknown, AppCode suggests you to choose whether you want to register a new file type, or open such file in its associated application. Specify your choice in the Register New File Type Association dialog box:
You can register the required file types on the File Types page of the Preferences dialog.
The maximum size of files parsed by AppCode is controlled by the
idea.properties file, located in the
bin directory of AppCode installation.
However, the larger file is, the slower its editor works and higher overall system memory requirements are.
Opening external files
To open an external file
To open a directory
To reopen a file
- To open a recently opened file, choose on the main menu or press ⌘E. Then select the desired file from the Recent Files pop-up window, that opens.
- To open a recently updated file, on the main menu, choose or press ⇧⌘E. Then select the desired file from the Recently Edited Files pop-up window, that opens.
Opening files in separate window
To open a file in a separate AppCode window
Do one of the following:
- Drag and drop an editor tab outside of the current AppCode window.
- Press ⇧F4 for a file selected in the Project tool window.
- Shift + mouse double click on a file name in the Project tool window.