Opening and Reopening Files in the Editor
On this page:
Opening files for editing
To open a file for editing
- Do one of the following:
- Double-click the desired file in one of the Tool Windows.
- Select the desired file in one of the Tool Windows and press F4.
- Select the desired file in the one of the Tool Windows and choose Jump to Source on the context menu.
- Use the Navigate command for a Class, File, or Symbol.
- Click the desired directory in the Navigation bar, and select file from the drop-down list:
- If the file type is registered, the file opens silently in AppCode's editor.
If the file type is registered under the category Files opened in associated applications, it will be opened in its associated application, rather than in the AppCode editor. By default, AppCode suggests a number of such file types, for example
User interface files, (
.storyboard) are opened in the UI Designer.
If necessary, you can open these types of files as XML in AppCode editor. To do so, right-click file in the Project view and choose Open ad XML in the context menu.
If the file type is unknown, AppCode suggests to choose whether you want to register a new file type, or open such file in its associated application. Specify your choice in the Register New File Type Association dialog box:
You can register the required file types on the File Types page of the Settings/Preferences dialog.
The maximum size of files parsed by AppCode is controlled by the
idea.max.intellisense.filesize setting in
idea.properties file located in the
bin directory of the AppCode installation folder should not be edited. Instead of editing the original
idea.properties file, create an
idea.properties file in the following location, open it for editing and add the required properties:
Note that the larger the file is, the slower its editor works and the higher overall system memory requirements are.
Opening external files
Do one of the following:
- Choose on the main menu and select the desired file in the dialog box that opens.
- Drag the required file from the Finder and drop it to the editor. The file opens for editing in a new tab.
To reopen a file
- To open a recently opened file, choose on the main menu or press ⌃E. Then select the desired file from the Recent Files pop-up window, that opens.
- To open a recently updated file, on the main menu, choose or press ⌃⇧E. Then select the desired file from the Recently Edited Files pop-up window, that opens.
Opening files in a separate window
To open a file in a separate AppCode window
Do one of the following:
- Drag and drop an editor tab outside of the current AppCode window.
- Press ⇧F4 for a file selected in the Project tool window.
- Shift + mouse double click on a file name in the Project tool window.