Configuring Third-Party Tools
Support for external tools enables integration with the third-party applications without creating plugins.
Configuration options for the external tools enable passing contextual information (like the current file name or project source path) to the application via command-line arguments.
The list of external tools is preserved as a part of the IDE setting, and can be shared among the development team. For managing the list of external tools, PhpStorm provides the External Tools settings page.
Once added, the external tools appear as the new menu commands.
This section describes how to add a new tool to PhpStorm, and define the menus to which the tool command will be added.
To add a new tool to the product, or change an existing one
- In Settings, select the External Tools page.
- Click to create a new entry, or select an existing tool, and click . The Edit Tool dialog box appears.
- Specify the tool name, the group where the tool should belong, and optional description.
- In the Menu section, check the menus, where you want the tool to appear. You can opt to add menu items for the new tool to the main menu, context menus of the Project views and the editor, and the search results.
- In the Program field, specify the name of the executable, which defines the program to run.
- In the Parameters field, specify the list of arguments or parameters, as if you were entering them on the command line.
- In the Working directory field, specify the directory where the tool should run.
- Apply changes, and close the dialog. The new tools can now be accessed via
If you want to use a keyboard shortcut to invoke your external tool, bind this tool to a shortcut.: