Common Code Style Options: Wrapping and Braces
Wrapping and braces
In this tab, customize the code style options, which PhpStorm will apply on reformatting the source code. The left-hand pane contains the list of exceptions (Keep when reformatting), and placement and alignment options for the various code constructs (lists, statements, operations, annotations, etc.) The right-hand pane shows preview.
Alignment takes precedence over indentation options.
Right Margin (columns)
Use Right Margin field to specify a margin space required on the right side of an element. If you select Default option then a value of the right margin from the global settings is used.
Wrap on typing
Use Wrap on typing settings to specify how the edited text is fitted in the specified Right margin. You can select one the following options:
- Default - in this case PhpStorm uses the Wrap on typing option that is specified in the global settings.
- Yes - in this case PhpStorm uses the value specified in the Right Margin field.
- No - in this case this option is switched off and a line can exceed the value specified in the right margin.
Keep when reformatting
Use the check boxes to configure exceptions that PhpStorm will make when reformatting the source code. For example, by default, the Line breaks check box is selected. If your code contains lines that are shorter than a standard convention, you can convert them by disabling the Line breaks check box before you reformat the source code.
The wrapping style applies to the various code constructs, specified in the left-hand pane (for example, method call arguments, or assignment statements).
|Wrapping style||From this drop-down list, select the desired wrapping style: |
|Align when multiline||If this check box is selected, a code construct starts at the same column on each next line. Otherwise, the position of a code construct is determined by the current indentation level. |
<character(s)> on next line
|Select this check box to have the specified character or characters moved to the next line when the lines are wrapped.|
|'else' on new line||Use this check box to have the corresponding statements or characters moved to the next line.|
|New line after |
|Select this check box to have the code after the specified character moved to a new line.|
|Special else if treatment||If this check box is selected, |
else if statements are located in the same line.
else if statements are moved to the next line to the corresponding indent level.
|Indent case branches|| If this check box is selected, the |
case statement is located at the corresponding indent level. Otherwise,
case statement is placed at the same indent level with
Braces placement options
| Braces placement style || Use this drop-down list to specify the position of the opening brace in class declarations, method declarations, and other types of declarations. The available options are: |
- End of line - select this option to have the opening brace placed at the declaration line end.
- Next line if wrapped - select this option to have the opening brace placed at the beginning of the line after the multiline declaration line.
- Next line - select this option to have the opening brace placed at the beginning of the line after the declaration line.
- Next line shifted - select this option to have the opening brace placed at the line after the declaration line being shifted to the corresponding indent level.
- Next line each shifted - select this option to have the opening brace placed at the line after the declaration line being shifted to the corresponding indent level, and have the next line shifted to the next indent level as well.
| Force braces||From this drop-down list, choose the braces introduction method for |
do () while statements. The available options are:
Last modified: 28 November 2017