In this section:
- Completing a short class name and importing a PHP namespace on-the-fly
- Importing a PHP namespace using a quick fix
- Importing TypeScript symbols
- Importing an XML namespace
The import statement is added to the imports section, but the cursor does not move from the current position, and your current editing session does not suspend. This feature is known as the Import Assistant.
The same possibility applies to the XML files. When you type a tag with an unbound namespace, import assistant suggests to create a namespace and offers a list of appropriate choices.
When you reference a PHP class that is defined outside the current file, PhpStorm locates the class definition, whereupon you can do one of the following:
- Have PhpStorm automatically complete the fully qualified class name, including the namespace the class is defined in. This will result in littering your code.
- Have PhpStorm automatically complete the short class name and import the namespace the class is defined in.
- Import the namespace manually using a quick fix.
In the PHP context, a namespace is imported by inserting a
Completing a short class name and importing a PHP namespace on-the-fly
To compile a short class name and import a PHP namespace, follow these steps:
- To enable on-the-fly namespace import, open the PhpStorm settings, and then click Auto Import under the Editor node. In the Editor: Auto Import page that opens, configure automatic namespace import in the PHP section.
- To have PhpStorm automatically import PHP namespaces, add use statements, and complete short class names on the fly when you are typing in a class or file that belongs to a certain namespace, select the Enable auto-import in namespace scope check box. This check box is selected by default.
- To have automatic namespace import applied when you are typing in a file that does not belong to any specific namespace, select the Enable auto-import in file scope check box.
- Open the desired file for editing and start typing the short name of a class.
- From the suggested variants for completion, select the relevant class name: PhpStorm completes the short class name and inserts a
usestatement with the namespace where the selected class is defined:
Importing a PHP namespace using a quick fix
To import a PHP class using a quick fix, follow these steps:
- Open the desired file for editing and reference a PHP class. If the referenced class is not bound, the following prompt appears:
- Press Alt+Enter. PhpStorm suggests to import the namespace where it has detected the declaration of the class:
- Press Enter. PhpStorm inserts a namespace declaration statement (
Importing TypeScript symbols
In the TypeScript context, PhpStorm can generate
import statements for modules, classes, and any other symbol that can be exported and called as a type. Open the desired file in the editor and do one of the following:
- Start typing the short name of a symbol. From the suggested variants for completion, select the relevant symbol name:
- Position the cursor at the unresolved symbol, which is displayed in red, and press Alt+Enter: On the context menu, select Add import statement and press Enter.
- Configure PhpStorm to show a pop-up every time you hover the mouse pointer over an unresolved reference which required import:
- Open the Settings / Preferences Dialog by pressing Ctrl+Alt+S or by choosing for Windows and Linux or for macOS. Expand the Editor node, and then click Auto Import under General.
- On the Auto Import page that opens, select the Show import pop-up check box in the TypeScript area.
Every time you hover the mouse pointer over an unresolved symbol, PhpStorm will display the following pop-up message:
Press Alt+Enter to have an import statement generated and inserted automatically.
In either case, PhpStorm inserts an
You can configure the quotes style for generated
import statements on the Code Style. TypeScript page, tab Punctuation ( for Windows and Linux or for macOS).
Importing an XML namespace
To import an XML namespace, follow these steps:
- Open the desired file for editing, and start typing a tag. If a namespace is not bound, the following prompt appears:
- Press Alt+Enter. If there are multiple choices, select the desired namespace from the list. PhpStorm creates a namespace declaration.