Quick Documentation Lookup helps you get quick information for any symbol or just method signature information, provided that this symbol has been supplied with documentation comments in the applicable format.
- For markup languages, PhpStorm retrieves reference from the language specification according to the Document Type setting.
- Documentation look-up is also available for Drupal hooks, see Drupal.
As a result, such documentation is properly rendered in the Documentation Tool Window:
The URLs and e-mail addresses specified in the documentation comments for methods are also properly rendered. Clicking a hyperlink opens the corresponding URL in an external browser; clicking an e-mail address opens the default mail client.
Viewing quick documentation
To view documentation for a symbol at caret, do one of the following
- On the main menu, choose .
- Press Ctrl+Q.
- Provided that the checkbox Show quick doc on mouse move in the editor settings is selected, just move your mouse pointer over the desired symbol.
When you explicitly invoke code completion, then quick documentation for an entry selected in the suggestion list can be displayed automatically. The behavior of quick documentation lookup is configured in the Code Completion page of the Settings/Preferences dialog.
To change the font size of quick documentation, do one of the following
- Click in the upper-right corner of the quick documentation window, and move the slider.
- Rotate the mouse wheel while keeping the Ctrl key pressed.
Note that for this feature to work, you have to enable it in the General page of the editor settings.
Refer to the section Zooming in the Editor for details.
Toolbar of the quick documentation lookup
The Quick Documentation Lookup window helps navigate to the related symbols via hyperlinks, and provides a toolbar for moving back and forth through the already navigated pages, changing font size, and viewing documentation in an external browser.
When pinned, the Quick Documentation Lookup turns into Documentation Tool Window, with the corresponding sidebar icon, and more controls.