Controlling Profiling Session
After you configure profiling settings and run the session, the dotTrace Controller window opens*.
- Start - Click this button to start collecting performance data. It is displayed in the dotTrace Controller window if the Start immediately check box was not selected in the profiling options.
- Get Snapshot and Wait - Click to generate a snapshot and stop collecting performance data.
The alternative option (selected in the same drop down list) is:
Get Snapshot and Start - Click to generate a snapshot and continue collecting performance data.
- Drop - Click to discard collected data and stop collecting performance data.
- Detach - Click to detach dotTrace from the profiled process, but keep the process running. Not available when using the Tracing or Line-by-line profiling types. The snapshot is not taken.
- Kill All - Click to kill all profiled processes. The snapshot is not taken.
- Stop Service - Click to stop a service. This button is displayed only when a Windows service is being profiled.
IMPORTANT: dotTrace Controller will automatically take a snapshot if you close the profiled application or the profiled application successfully finishes working by itself.
Profiling a Particular Application's Process
If your application runs more than one process, you can specify what process should be profiled.
To profile a particular process:
Viewing Real Time Application Activity
To access additional functionality of the dotTrace Controller window, expand it by clicking the button.