.NET Process type of profiling allows you to profile any managed application that is started after clicking Run.
After you click Run, dotTrace is ready to hook into any managed application that is launched.
If you cannot guarantee that the profiled process will be started right after you click Run, you can set up a process filter. In this case, dotTrace will start profiling of the first run process which name matches the filter.
The filter consists from an arbitrary number of name masks for the processes that should not be profiled.
To use a process filter:
- Click Filter Processes button.
- In the opened dialog, add masks by using the text field and the Add button.
- To save the filter, click Save.
Take into account the following filter peculiarities:
- The default policy is "profile all".
- There can be only "exclude" masks. Therefore, any filter mask you add means "do not profile anything that matches this mask".
- The asterisk
*wildcard is supported.
For example, if you add the
service* mask, all processes which name starts with
service will be ignored by the profiler.