The Process Overview diagram visualizes application activity and meaningful events related to the profiled application. Use the diagram to determine and select time intervals that are interesting for analysis, such as intervals with high CPU load, long blocking GC intervals, and UI freeze intervals.
Use the overview to evaluate CPU utilization and to quickly navigate in Process Overview and Threads diagrams:
- Click anywhere on the overview to select a visible time range. The range size is defined automatically.
- Drag the slide bar to select a visible time range.
- Move the slide bar edges to change its size.
- Use the zoom slider on the left to zoom the Process Overview and Threads diagrams.
Blocking Garbage Collection
Time intervals where blocking garbage collection (GC) takes place. To perform a blocking GC, CLR suspends all managed threads. For more thorough GC analysis, you can use the Garbage Collection event.
Time intervals where the user interface is not responding. More specifically, these are time intervals where window messages are not pumped for more than 200 ms or processing of a particular message takes more than 200 ms.
Click on a particular UI freeze to select the freeze time interval and the corresponding UI thread. For more thorough freeze analysis, you can use the Interval Filters | UI Freeze filter.
Filtered Time Intervals
Time intervals that were selected as a result of applying filters.
Selecting time interval
To select a time interval
- Drag the mouse over the desired interval holding the left mouse button.
After you select a range, the Selected Time Interval filter will be applied. All other filters will show data only for this time range.
Use this to analyze time intervals meaningful for analysis. For example, to determine methods that were executed when the CPU load was on maximum.
You can also use the diagram to quickly select UI freeze time intervals.
To select a UI freeze time interval
- Click on the desired UI freeze interval.
After you select a UI freeze interval, the filters by freeze time interval and the UI thread will be applied. All other filters will show data only for the UI thread and selected time interval.
To zoom in/out the diagram
- Do one of the following:
- Use the mouse scroll wheel.
- Press Ctrl + Drag the mouse holding the left mouse button.
After you zoom the diagram, the Visible Time Interval filter will be applied. All other filters will show data only for the currently visible range.
To pan the diagram
- Drag the mouse holding the right mouse button.