Profile WCF Service
To profile a WCF service library
- Run dotTrace as a standalone application. The dotTrace Home window will open.
- In the left panel, select Profile Local App.
- In the middle panel in Profile Application, select WCF Service.
- In the right panel, in WCF Service Library:
- In Library path, specify the full path to the profiled service library.
- In Config path, specify the full path to the library configuration file.
- In Profiler Options, specify profiling type. Typically, you should choose between Sampling (evaluate performance and determine slowest methods in your app) and Timeline (determine slowest methods and how method calls are distributed in time).
For more details on profiler options, refer to the Profiler Options section.
- Optionally, if you are going to control profiling session (take snapshots, end session, and so on) using the API (rather than the Controller window), select Advanced and Use profiler API. For more details on how to control profiling using the API, refer to the Controlling Profiling Session Through API chapter.
- Click Run.
- Collect profiling data (snapshots). For more details on how to control profiling session, refer to Controlling Profiling Session (if you control the session manually) or to Controlling Profiling Session Through API (if you control profiling using the API).
- After you collect the data, either close the profiled application or detach the profiler using the Detach button of the Controller window. If you use the API to control profiling, detaching must be executed by your code.
- Analyze the collected snapshots either in the Performance Viewer or Timeline Viewer (depends on the profiling type you select).
Last modified: 20 August 2018