Installing, Uninstalling and Upgrading Packages
In this section:
PyCharm Edu provides a dedicated tool for installing, uninstalling, and upgrading Python packages. So doing, if a packaging tool is missing, PyCharm Edu suggests to install it.
PyCharm Edu smartly tracks the status of packages and recognizes outdated versions by showing the number of the currently installed package version (column Version), and the latest available version (column Latest). When a newer version of a package is detected, PyCharm Edu marks it with the arrow sign .
To install a package
- In the Project Interpreter page of the project settings, select the desired Python interpreter or virtual environment.
- Click .
- In the Available Packagesdialog box that opens, select the desired package from the list.
If necessary, use the Search field, where you can enter any string. So doing, the list of packages shrinks to show the matching packages only.
- If required, select the following checkboxes:
- Specify version: if this checkbox is selected, you can select the desired version from the drop-down list of available versions. By default, the latest version is taken.
- Options: If this checkbox is selected, you can type the options in the text field.
- Click Install Package.
To specify a custom repository, follow these steps
- In the Project Interpreter page of the project settings, click , and then, in the Available Packages dialog, click Manage Repositories.
- In the Manage Repositories dialog box that opens, click to add a URL of a local repository, for example, something like
- In the Manage Repositories dialog box, click OK.
- Back in the Available Packages dialog, click to reload the list of packages. As a result, the packages that exist on the local server appear.
To uninstall a package
- On the Project Interpreter page, in the list of packages, select the ones to be deleted.
- Click . The selected packages are removed from disk.
To upgrade a package
- On the Project Interpreter page, in the list of packages, select the packages to be upgraded.
- Click . The selected package is upgraded to the latest available version.