Cleaning .pyc Files
Depending on the selected Python interpreter, the following Python compiled files are created:
By default, the
$py.class files are ignored, and thus are not visible in the Project tool window.
However, PyCharm makes it possible to delete
.pyc files from projects or directories.
Please note the following:
- If you rename or delete a Python file, the corresponding compiled file is also deleted.
- Python compiled files are deleted recursively.
- If you perform update from VCS and skip automatic cleanup, then removing Python compiled files is vital. The reason is that after update from version control, some of the Python files could have been deleted, and executing the command will help you get rid of the unnecessary Python compiled files.
To remove Python compiled files
- In the Project tool window, right-click a project or directory, where Python compiled files should be deleted from.
- On the context menu, choose Clean Python compiled files.
$py.classfiles residing in the selected directory are silently deleted.