Networking in PyCharm
PyCharm requires Internet connection for a wide variety of tasks. For example:
- Checking for PyCharm updates
- Code inspections that can verify external resources
- Communication with the version control servers, task servers
- Anonymous usage statistics
- Working with remote interpreters
- Installing and upgrading Python packages
Besides that, PyCharm provides IPC for commands (for example, open files), and the built-in Web server.
Some of the communication requirements are configurable:
- Checking for updates can be turned off. To disable checking for updates, open the page Settings | Updates, and clear the check box Check for updates in channel.
- To disable code inspection that highlights dead links, open the page Settings | Inspections, and clear the check box to the left of the HTML inspection Non-existent web resources.
- You can control the frequency of sending usage statistics, or even completely disable this function in the page Settings | Usage statistics.
Last modified: 23 December 2016