This feature is supported in the Professional edition only.
In this section:
- CoffeeScript Support
- Running CoffeeScript
- Debugging CoffeeScript
PyCharm provides CoffeeScript support. PyCharm recognizes
*.coffee files, and allows you to edit them providing full range of coding assistance without any additional steps from your side. CoffeeScript files are marked with icon.
Preparing for CoffeeScript development
- Make sure the CoffeeScript and Node.js plugins are installed and enabled. The plugins are not bundled with PyCharm, but they can be installed from the JetBrains plugin repository as described in Installing, Updating and Uninstalling Repository Plugins and Enabling and Disabling Plugins. Once enabled, the plugins are available at the IDE level, that is, you can use them in all your PyCharm projects.
- Download and install the Node.js runtime environment.
- Configure the Node.js interpreter in PyCharm:
- Open the by choosing for Windows and Linux or for macOS, and click Node.js and NPM under Languages & Frameworks.
- On the Node.js and NPM page that opens, specify the location of the desired Node.js interpreter.
CoffeeScript support includes:
- Code completion for keywords, labels, variables, parameters and functions.
- Error and syntax highlighting.
- Code formatting and folding.
- Common refactoring procedures, such as extract method , inline, rename/move, etc.
- CoffeeScript-specific refactoring procedures, such as change signature, extract parameter, extract variable.
- Code generation
- Generating code stubs based on file templates during file creation.
- Ability to create line and block comments (Ctrl+Slash/Ctrl+Shift+Slash).
- Navigation through source code
- Navigating with Structure View.
- (Ctrl+Alt+B) from overridden method / subclassed class.
- Executing CoffeeScript files involves:
- Ability to launch CoffeeScript files from the context menu.
- Run/debug configuration for NodeJS includes the ability to use CoffeeScript plugin.
Language and Framework-Specific Guidelines:
Last modified: 26 July 2017