PyCharm needs source maps to recognize breakpoints you set in the TypeScript code. To have source maps generated during compilation, open the
tsconfig.json file and make sure the
sourceMap property is set to
Debugging client-side TypeScript
Most often, you may want to debug a client-side application running on an external development web server, e.g. powered by Node.js.
- Configure and set breakpoints in the TypeScript code.
- Run the application in the development mode. Often you need to run
npm startfor that. When the development server is ready, copy the URL address at which the application is running in the browser - you will need to specify this URL address in the run/debug configuration.
- In the dialog box that opens, specify the URL address at which the application is running. This URL can be copied from the address bar of your browser as described in Step 3 above. Click OK to save the configuration settings.
- Choose the newly created configuration in the Select run/debug configuration drop-down list on the toolbar and click the Debug toolbar button . The URL address specified in the run configuration opens in the chosen browser and the Debug tool window appears.
- In the Debug tool window, proceed as usual: step through the program, stop and resume program execution, examine it when suspended, view actual HTML DOM, etc.