The Extract Superclass lets you either create a superclass based on an exiting class or you can rename the original class so it becomes an implementation for the newly created superclass. In this case, PyCharm changes all original class usages to use a superclass where possible.
Fields and methods in the original class can be moved to the superclass. Also for a method, you can transfer only the method declaration but not the implementation declaring the method as abstract in the superclass. As a result, you will have the superclass and the original class inherited from the superclass.
Extracting a superclass
To extract a superclass
- On the on the main menu or on the context menu, choose .
- In the Extract Superclass dialog box that appears, specify the following information:
- Name of the new superclass.
- Target directory where it will be stored.
- Methods to be included in the superclass.
- Proceed with the refactoring.