Creating Step Definition
.feature file refers to a non-existent step, PyCharm's code inspection recognizes and highlights such step, and provides an intention action that helps create missing step definition.
Creating step definition
To create a missing step definition
- While editing the
.featurefile, type a reference to a step definition. PyCharm highlights step as undefined, and gives detailed information at the tooltip:
- Press Alt+Enter to show the Create Step Definition intention action:
- Select the target step definition file from the pop-up list:
You can either select one of the existing step definition files from the suggestion list, or create a new one.
PyCharm creates a step definition stub in the specified location.
- In the selected step definition file that opens in the editor, enter the desired code.
Tips and tricks
- While typing, use code completion Ctrl+Space after keywords. Note that you can narrow down the suggestion list by typing characters contained anywhere within a description. On top of the suggestion list there will be the variants that contain specified characters as prefixes, followed by the variants with the arbitrary occurrences of characters:
- You can find usages of a step definition. To do that, place the caret at the desired definition, and press Alt+F7. Refer to the section Finding Usages in Project for details.
- PyCharm keeps an eye on the uniqueness of the step definitions. Step definitions with the same names are highlighted.