Reformatting XML Doc Comments
ReSharper can reformat XML documentation comments according to your preferences.
Note that ReSharper does not reformat plain comments like:
// A plain single-line comment
/* A plain multi-line comment */
To reformat XML doc comments with Code Cleanup
- Choose in the main menu.
- In the Code Editing | XML Doc Comments | Formatting Style options page, configure formatting settings so that they comply with your coding practices/standards.
- Open the Code Cleanup options: ReSharper | Options | Code Editing | Code Cleanup.
- Create a new profile as described in the Configuring Code Clenup section. In the Selected profile settings section for the new profile tick the Reformat embedded XML doc comments check box.
- Click Save to apply the modifications and let ReSharper choose where to save them, or save the modifications to a specific settings layer using the Save To drop-down list. For more information, see Managing and Sharing ReSharper Settings.
- Choose Code Cleanup dialog box for the current file or for a solution node (see Running Code Cleanup for details), and then select the newly created profile in the Available Profiles area. in the menu to open the
Select the scope where you want to reformat XML doc comments:
- Set the caret anywhere in the file to reformat XML doc comments to the file.
- Select one or more items in the Solution Explorer to reformat XML doc comments in the files under these nodes and their child items.
Do one of the following:
- Choose on the main menu.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+F.
- Right-click anywhere in the text editor or right-click the selection and choose Cleanup Code in the context menu.
- In the Code Cleanup dialog box that opens, select the newly created profile in the Available Profiles area.
- Click Run. ReSharper will reformat XML doc comments in the selected scope according to your preferences.
If you want to reformat XML doc comments without opening the Code Cleanup dialog box, you can bind the created profile to the silent cleanup and run it simply by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Alt+F. You can also create a custom cleanup profile that would combine reformatting XML doc comments with other code style tasks.
This feature is supported in the following languages/technologies:
The instructions and examples given here address the use of the feature in C#. For details specific to other languages, see corresponding topics in the ReSharper by Language section.
- Naming Style
- Navigating Between Code Issues
- Finding Out What Is Wrong with Your Code
- Code Formatting Rules
- File and Type Layout
- File Header Style
- Namespace Imports Assistance
- Implicit/Explicit Typing
- Using Auto-Properties
- Making Fields Readonly
- Attributes Style
- Arranging Modifiers
- Arranging Optional Member Qualifiers
- Reformatting XML Doc Comments
- Removing Code Redundancies