To ensure an acceptable speed, ReSharper caches the project model, which it gets when analyzing your solution.
Cached data are stored separately for each solution. Therefore,
when you open a new solution for the first time, the analysis can take some, but all subsequent times you
open the solution, ReSharper just reads the cached data, which normally happens very quickly.
Depending on your system configuration, you may prefer different locations to store cache files.
To specify the location for caches
- Open the Environment | General options page.
Save solution caches in
to select the location for cache files:
- User local settings folder to store them in the following directory: %LOCALAPPDATA%\JetBrains\ReSharper\v[ReSharper version]\SolutionCaches
- System TEMP folder to store them in the following directory: %TEMP%\ReSharperCache
- Solution folder to store them in the root folder of the current solution
- Custom folder to choose a custom location for ReSharper cache files.
- Click Save to apply the modifications and let ReSharper choose where to save them, or save the modifications to a specific settings layer using the Save To drop-down list. For more information, see Managing and Sharing ReSharper Settings.
- Reopen your solution for the changes to take effect.
If your solution is under version control or you plan to put it there, it is better to choose either System TEMP folder or User local settings folder. It lets you exclude caches from the solution folder and keep them separately from source code, so that they cannot be committed into your repository by mistake.
Pay attention that system temp folder can be cleaned by some utility and all caches might get removed if you store them there.
Broken caches affect ReSharper behavior. For example, ReSharper can stop resolving symbols or some navigation commands can be unavailable. If you notice such strange behavior, clearing caches for the current solution could help in most cases.
To clear caches for the current solution
ReSharper also cleans up solution caches automatically if a specific solution was not open for more than 30 days.