Generating Type Constructors
The constructor generation wizard creates a non-default constructor that takes parameters for selected fields, properties and auto-properties.
All generated constructors follow the same pattern where:
- Each field, property, or auto-property included in the constructor is initialized with a parameter.
- The name of the parameter is derived from the name of the corresponding field or property.
If there are non-default base type constructors, the required parameters are added to the generated constructor and passed to the base class constructor.
In the example below, this command is used to generate a new
Circle constructor that takes two additional parameters to initialize
To generate a constructor
- In the editor, set the caret on the type name or within a type at the line where you want to insert a constructor. If the caret is on the type name, generated code will be added in the beginning of the type declaration.
- In the Generate dialog that appears, select type members that should be initialized in the new constructor. Optionally, select one or several base class constructors. For every selected base constructor, a new constructor will be generated that will call the base and additionally initialize selected members.
Optionally, use the following controls in the dialog:
- Access Rights - allows you to define access rights for the generated constructor.
- Check parameters for null (appears if the class has fields or properties of nullable types) - if this check box is selected, ReSharper will generate nullability checks for each nullable parameter:
if (param == null) throw new ArgumentNullException(nameof(param));
- Click Finish to complete the wizard.
You can also click Options to review or modify common code generation preferences on the page of ReSharper options.
This feature is supported in the following languages/technologies:
The instructions and examples given here address the use of the feature in C#. For details specific to other languages, see corresponding topics in the ReSharper by Language section.