Extract Method refactoring
This refactoring allows you to create a new method based on a selected code fragment. Rider analyses the selected statements and detects variables that can be converted into method parameters or represent its return value.
Consider the following example:
To extract a method from a code block
- In the editor, select one or more statements that you want to convert into a method.
- Do one of the following: Extract Method dialog will open.
- Type a name for the new method in the Name field.
- Select one of expressions that Rider detected as possible method return values in the Return drop-down list. There may be other expressions detected as possible return values. They are listed as out parameters.
- Include or exclude parameters using the corresponding check boxes in the Parameters area. If you exclude a parameter from the list, the local variable with the same name and type will be created in the method, if necessary.
- Select the Make static and/or Make virtual to add the corresponding modifiers to the method.
- Specify access rights in the Access rights drop-down list.
- To change order of parameters, select parameters in the list and use Move Up and Move Up buttons below the parameters list.
- Check the resulted method signature and body in the Preview field.
- To apply the refactoring, click Next.
- If no conflicts are found, Rider performs the refactoring immediately. Otherwise, it prompts you to resolve conflicts.