Make Method/Property Static refactoring
This refactoring allows you to convert an instance method or a property to a static one. All calls, implementations and overrides are automatically corrected.
If the converted instance method uses instance members, Rider helps you add the necessary parameter representing 'this' to apply these usages to. If the converted instance property uses instance members, the refactoring is not available.
In the example below, we use this refactoring to convert an instance method
Merge of the
MetaInfo class into a static method. After refactoring, usages of instance properties
Name are applied to the new parameter
To make a method or property static
- Place the caret at the declaration or a usage of an instance method or property in the editor, or select it in the Structure window.
- Do one of the following: Make Static dialog will open.
- If the method uses instance members, it is recommended to leave the option Add 'this' as parameter of [type name] selected. In this case, Rider adds the necessary parameter to apply these usages to. If necessary, you can either go without adding the parameter or apply the parameter to some of the instance member usages. In these cases, after refactoring you will have to correct the invalid usages of instance in static context manually.
- To apply the refactoring, click Next.
- If no conflicts are found, Rider performs the refactoring immediately. Otherwise, it prompts you to resolve conflicts.