Code Completion (IntelliSense)
To get you familiar with JetBrains Rider's code completion features, here are some implementation basics:
- The suggestion list of Automatic Completion appears as soon as you start typing a new identifier. The suggestion list of Basic Completion appears when you press Ctrl+Space.
- Two other completion commands, Smart Completion (Ctrl+Alt+Space) and Import Symbol Completion (Shift+Alt+Space) apply advanced algorithms to add more items to the suggestion list.
- By default, all JetBrains Rider's completion features support CamelHumps, i.e. you can type the initial letters of a compound name parts and the name will appear in the list of suggestions.
Here are some other general points that show how JetBrains Rider's code completion features are different from Visual Studio's native IntelliSense:
- As you type, the list of completion suggestions is narrowed down to match your input.
- Immediate members of a type are emphasized, as opposed to inherited members.
- When you select a suggestion in the list, JetBrains Rider displays its summary taken from the XML documentation.
- Where applicable, Code Completion suggests indexers along with type members, and corrects expression syntax accordingly if an indexer is selected.
- Custom icons for parameters and local variables are provided to distinguish them from fields.
- When you use code completion over existing code items, you can either simply insert the selected completion suggestion by pressing Enter or substitute the existing identifier with the selected suggestion by pressing Tab.
- When you declare a field, method parameter, or local variable, JetBrains Rider suggests a list of possible names to choose from taking into account other names in the current context and your naming rules.
In this section: