JetBrains Rider's basic completion suggests names of classes, methods, variables, keywords, and any other symbols that are available within the current visibility scope including extension methods that were previously imported. Many other context-specific suggestions, like live templates, code generation suggestions, unit test categories are also available in the completion list. The list of suggestions is similar to that of Automatic Completion.
To invoke basic completion
- Place the caret at the position where you're going to type your code.
- Press Ctrl+Space.
- Select a suggestion from the list and press Enter or start typing the initial letters of the identifier or its CamelHumps abbreviation to narrow down the list of suggestions.
You can also invoke basic completion on an existing identifier. In this case, there are two ways to apply the selected completion suggestion; press Enter to insert it and leave the existing item or press Tab to replace the existing item.
Examples of basic completion
You can use the following examples to get an idea of how basic completion works with various code items:
- Suggesting type-based variable names
- Suggesting members of a class
- Suggesting visible types
- Suggesting C# keywords
- Suggesting 'this' keyword for static methods in static classes
- Completion for enum members
- Using CamelHumps in code completion
- Completion for unresolved symbols
- Completion for argument names
- Suggesting members of a dynamic type
- Suggesting existing partial classes
Suggesting type-based variable names
Commonly used names for fields and variables are suggested depending on their type. After entering the type of a variable, press Ctrl+Space. The look-up list displays the suggested names: If you enter a variable name prefix, JetBrains Rider will append it to each suggested name: You can specify a prefix and/or a suffix for all new variable names on thepage of JetBrains Rider settings (Ctrl+Alt+S). If you do that, completion items will be modified accordingly:
Suggesting members of a class
Suggesting visible types
Suggesting C# keywords
Suggesting 'this' keyword for static methods in static classes
Completion for enum members
Using CamelHumps in code completion
Completion for unresolved symbols
Early used names of data types and their members are suggested, even if they are not declared anywhere in the code and cannot be resolved.
Completion for argument names
Suggesting members of a dynamic type
Suggesting existing partial classes
When you type
partial class, names of partial classes in the current scope are added to the suggestions list, thus helping you to quickly create new parts of existing partial classes.