With JetBrains Rider, you can quickly review the documentation on a symbol right in the editor.
JetBrains Rider provides two ways to study symbol documentation.
- When you hover the mouse over a symbol usage in the editor, you will see a popup with its brief description. For library symbols, you can Alt+click (Ctrl+Alt+click on Linux) in the popup to copy its contents to the clipboard.
- The second way, which is described below, provides you with more details as well as the ability to study the documentation of related symbols.
To view quick documentation for a symbol
- Position the caret:
- At a symbol in the editor.
- Anywhere within a documentation comment.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+F1 or choose from the main menu. Alternatively, you can press Ctrl+Shift+A, start typing the command name in the pop-up, and then choose it there.
- In the Quick Documentation popup that appears, you can study symbol documentation and follow hyperlinks to view related documentation.
Additional capabilities of the Quick Documentation popup include:
- A settings button , that provides various options for adjusting the popup as well as navigation to the documented symbol (F4).
- Browser-like back/forward navigation buttons in the top left corner of the popup. These buttons appear when you choose to display the toolbar in the popup.
- Hyperlinks that let you navigate to documentation for related entities
For overridden and implemented members, the following convention applies:
- If an overriding/implemented member does not have comments but its base member does, base member comments are shown.
- If they both have comments, those of the overriding/implemented member are shown.