Installing and Setting Up Rider
Download and install JetBrains Rider
To install JetBrains Rider
- Download JetBrains Rider (select a version depending on your operating system).
- Do the following depending on your operating system:
- Windows installation:
- MacOS installation:
- Linux installation:
- Unpack the
JetBrains.Rider-*.tar.gzfile to a different folder, if your current "Download" folder doesn't support file execution:
tar xfz JetBrains.Rider-*.tar.gz -C <new_archive_folder>
The recommended install location according to the filesystem hierarchy standard (FHS) is
/opt. For example, it's possible to enter the following command:
sudo tar xf JetBrains.Rider-*.tar.gz -C /opt/
- Switch to the
cd <new archive folder>/JetBrains.Rider-*/bin
- Unpack the
Run JetBrains Rider for the first time
Import JetBrains Rider settings
When you start JetBrains Rider for the first time, or after you have upgraded it from a previous version, the Complete Installation dialog opens where you can select whether you want to import the IDE settings:
Register JetBrains Rider
To try and evaluate JetBrains Rider, you can download and install its trial version for free. The trial version is available for 30 days, whereupon you need to obtain and register a license.
Select how you want to register JetBrains Rider:
- JetBrains Account: select this option if you have a JetBrains Account that allows you to access your purchases and manage licenses (see What is JetBrains Account? to learn more).
- Activation code: select this option if you have an activation code for JetBrains Rider, and paste it to the text area.
- License server: select this option to register JetBrains Rider through the License Server web application that allows you to manage floating licenses and issue licenses to users who do not have direct internet access.
Customize your JetBrains Rider environment
Follow the Customize JetBrains Rider wizard steps to configure your working environment to your liking, or skip these steps and keep default settings by pressing a corresponding button. In any case you'll be able to change the setting later.
Select the user interface theme. You can choose between the default light theme and the Darcula theme.
Choose the editor color schemes you feel more comfortable with:
Choose the keymap (the shortcuts scheme):
- Visual Studio keymap — a Visual Studio alike scheme
- ReSharper keymap — similar to the "IntelliJ IDEA" scheme in ReSharper
- Rider keymap — an IntelliJ IDEA alike scheme
Disable unnecessary default plugins.
JetBrains Rider is shipped with a variety of plugins that provide integration with different version control systems and application servers, add support for various frameworks and development technologies, etc.
Get additional plugins.
Download and install additional plugins (that are not bundled with the IDE) from the JetBrains Rider plugins repository:
Update JetBrains Rider
Manage JetBrains Rider through Toolbox App
Toolbox App is an control panel that allows you to manage all JetBrains developer tools, including JetBrains Rider, as well as your projects, from a single point of access. It lets you maintain different versions of the same tool, install updates and roll them back if needed. It also remembers your JetBrains Account and uses it to automatically log you in when you install and register new tools.
- Download Toolbox App.
- Launch the setup file.
Now you can manage existing tools, install new tools and download updates: