Creating and Editing Run/Debug Configurations
On this page:
- Creating a run/debug configuration
- Editing an existing run/debug configuration
- Important note for multi-project usage
With the Navigation bar visible (), the available run/debug configurations are displayed in the run/debug configuration selector in the Run area:
RubyMine provides the Run/Debug Configuration dialog box as a tool for handling run/debug configurations: create configuration profiles or change the default ones.
RubyMine suggests the following ways to create a run/debug configuration:
- Create a run configuration manually on the base of the default one, using the Run/Debug Configuration dialog box.
- Save a temporary run configuration.
- Mind also the important note.
Creating a run/debug configuration
To create a run/debug configuration, follow these steps:
- In the Run/Debug Configuration dialog box, click on
the toolbar or press Alt+Insert.
The drop-down list shows the default run/debug configurations. Select the desired configuration type.
The fields that appear in the right pane, display the default settings for the selected configuration type.
For the new run/debug configuration:
- Specify its name in the Name text box. This name will be shown in the list of the available run/debug configurations.
- Specify whether you want to make RubyMine check execution status of
the instances of the same run/debug configuration. If you want to make sure that only one instance
of the run/debug configuration is currently executed, select the check box
Single instance only. In this case, a confirmation dialog box will show up
every time you try to launch run/debug configuration, when one instance of the same type is still
If this check box is not selected, you can launch as many instances of the runner as required. As the result, each runner will start in its own tab of the Run tool window.
- In the Before launch section, define whether you want to execute some tools or scripts prior to launching the run/debug configuration.
- Specify additional parameters depending on the configuration type. Refer to the descriptions of run/debug configuration parameters below the Run/Debug Configurations section.
- Apply the changes and close the dialog box.
Editing an existing run/debug configuration
To change an existing run/debug configuration:
- On the main menu, choose .
- With the Navigation Bar visible (), choose from the run/debug configurations selector.
- Press Shift+Alt+F10, then press 0 to display the Edit Configuration dialog box or select the configuration from the pop-up window and press F4.
In the corresponding run/debug configuration dialog box, change parameters as required.
Important note for multi-project usage
If a project has been created in an earlier version of RubyMine, its run/debug configurations can be lost, when such a project is added to another project, already opened in the same window.
To avoid the loss of run/debug configurations, it is recommended to open such a project once in the latest version, and only after being added to another project.