What is a remote web server?
In RubyMine, any server with the document root outside the current project is called remote. This server may be actually running on a physically remote host or on your machine.
For example, if your project is in C:/RubyMineProjects/MyProject and the web server document root is C:/XAMPP/htdocs, for RubyMine this web server is remote.
How do I synchronize my application sources on the server with their local copies in my RubyMine project?
To debug an application on a remote web server, you need to have the copies of its sources in a RubyMine project. To synchronize local and remote sources, create a deployment configuration as described in Creating a Remote Server Configuration and Configuring Synchronization with a Web Server.
Debugging an application on a remote server
- Choose the newly created configuration in the Select run/debug configuration drop-down list on the toolbar and click Debug . The HTML file specified in the run configuration opens in the chosen browser and the Debug Tool Window appears.
- In the Debug tool window, proceed as usual: step through the program, stop and resume the program execution, examine it when suspended, view actual HTML DOM, etc.
Suppose you have a simple application that consists of an index.html file and a
Now we can start debugging: choose the new run/debug configuration from the drop-down list in the upper right-hand corner of the RubyMine window, and then click to the right of the list:
Mappings set correspondence between files on a web server and their local copies.
When do I need mappings?
- When your application is deployed and running on a remote web server.
- When you have defined several resource root folders in addition to the project root.
In most cases, RubyMine sets path mappings automatically by reusing mappings from the deployment configuration. If your application structure is complicated, additional manual configuration is required.
To configure mappings:
- In the Remote URLs of local files area, map the files and folders to URL addresses of files and folders on the server according to the currently used deployment configuration, see Mapping local folders to folders on the server and the URL addresses to access them.