Opening Multiple Projects
RubyMine allows you to work with several projects simultaneously. So doing, RubyMine suggests the following options:
- Each project is opened in its own window. The projects are independent, and cannot share information, except for the Clipboard operations. All the projects run in the same instance of RubyMine and use the same memory space.
- A newly opened project shares the same window as the already opened one. So doing, the project that has already been opened, is considered the primary project, and is always shown first in the Project tool window. All the other projects are added to the primary project.
Symbols from the added projects are visible from the primary one, but not vice versa.
Opening multiple projects
To open multiple projects
- Open a project, while another one is already opened.
Then, depending on the option selected in the Project Opening section of the System Settings page of the Settings/Preferences dialog, the following happens:
- If the option Open project in a new window is selected, then the new project silently opens in a new window. So doing, the command Attach Project appears in the menu.
- If the option Open projects in the same window is selected, then the new project silently opens in the same window, replacing the currently opened project. So doing, the command Attach Project appears in the menu.
- If the option Confirm window to open project in is selected, then RubyMine prompts you to select whether you want to open the project in a new window, or reuse the existing window. This dialog box features the checkbox Add to currently opened projects. If this checkbox is selected, the new project opens in the project tree, and adds to the currently opened project. So doing, the project that has already been opened, is the primary project.
Deleting a project from view
If you want to close a project that has been added to the currently opened one (primary project), follow these steps:
- In the Project Tool Window, right-click the project to be deleted.
- On the context menu of the selection, choose , or just press Delete:
- When reopening, RubyMine suggests to reopen the whole group of projects.
- The checkbox Add to currently opened projects appears when you open a new project in a window, where another project is already opened.