Common issues with Upsource
This document lists common issues that Upsource users and administrators face and suggests solutions.
1. Following the upgrade from earlier versions (2.X.X) to version 3.0, Upsource Free 10 Users Pack license is not recognised as valid.
After backing up project data from an older build and upgrading to Upsource 3.0 with that project data, Upsource may fail to convert an older license to the new free license. The erroneously preserved license manifests itself as expired and does not allow using Upsource.
Instead of the expired license, please enter the following license name/key combination:
Upsource 3.0 Free 10 Users Pack
2. Not enough memory for Cassandra database
Apache Cassandra database won't start when Upsource launched
Increase heap size to Cassandra process as follows:
3. Insufficient memory settings in Linux may affect Cassandra database performance
The following warning:
Unable to lock JVM memory (ENOMEM). This can result in part of the JVM being swapped out, especially with mmapped I/O enabled
encountered in the cassandra-stderr.log file indicates insufficient memory lock settings. Even though most of the time it will not cause any problem, it may potentially affect Cassandra performance in some cases.
Increase memory lock limit by running the
ulimit command, or, if you work in Debian, modify the /etc/security/limits.conf file - change
max locked memory to
unlimited for the user under which Cassandra runs.
4. OutOfMemory exception
- Upsource services consume all memory
- New commits are not getting indexed
- Some (all) revisions are stuck in "indexing in progress" state
- Web UI is extremely slow
5. Code intelligence is not available
Code insight in Maven or Gradle based project is not working. The code analysis status indicator remains grey.
- Double-check that you have set Upsource properties correctly when creating your Upsource project, including a correct path to project model. Edit if necessary.
- If it doesn't help, contact Upsource support and describe your problem. Please include a mvn.out or gradle.out file (for Maven or Gradle project correspondingly) with your inquiry.
To find mvn.out (or gradle.out) file:
If no such file exists:
- Navigate to /.idea/model.info
- Open model.info and copy the revision ID
- Using the search, locate that revision and open it up
- Click Browse code and navigate to /.idea/maven/mvn.out (or /.idea/gradle/gradle.out for Gradle)
6. You forgot your administrator password
You can't access your administrator account because you forgot your password.
Reset your administrator account password as follows:
Enter your new password and start Upsource with the following command:
<upsource_home>\bin\upsource.bat start --J-Djetbrains.jetpass.admin.restore=true --J-Djetbrains.jetpass.admin.password=XXXXX
where XXXXX is your new password. Please notice two dashes before J, which means properties are applied to the current start only and should not be reverted by a user manually later.