Quick Definition Lookup shows you where and how your project symbols (classes, methods/functions, fields, tags, etc) are defined. For TypeScript objects, WebStorm also displays their inferred types. For markup languages, WebStorm retrieves definitions of symbols from the specified DTD or schema. Learn more from HTML and XML.
WebStorm can show symbol definitions in a popup or in a tooltip. A popup shows a full definition of a symbol with the possibility to view its usages. A tooltip shows a brief definition of a symbol with the possibility to jump to its declaration.
To view the definition of a symbol in a popup
- Place the cursor at the symbol and press Ctrl+Shift+I or choose .
- To jump to the definition of the symbol, click on the toolbar or press F4. Alternatively, to keep the popup opened, click or press Ctrl+Enter.
- If there are several definitions of a symbol, select the relevant one from the drop-down list. Use the arrows on the toolbar to move to the next/previous definition.
To view the definition of a symbol in a tooltip
- With the Ctrl/⌘ key pressed, hover your mouse pointer or the cursor over the symbol. WebStorm displays the symbol as a link and shows its definition in a tooltip.
- To jump to the definition of the symbol, click the link.
- To open the definition in the Documentation tool window, move your mouse pointer within the tooltip and click in the upper-right corner.