YouTrack Integration Plugin
The YouTrack Integration Plugin extends the functionality of the Task Management plugin that is built into JetBrains IDEs. The plugin is available for use with all JetBrains IDEs. This includes AppCode, CLion, DataGrip, GoLand, IntelliJ IDEA, PhpStorm, PyCharm, Rider, RubyMine, and WebStorm. The plugin is also supported by JetBrains MPS and Android Studio.
This plugin enables the following features in your IDE:
- View a list of issues that match specific search criteria directly in your IDE.
- Enter a search query to locate a specific issue in the list.
- Open an issue as a task to set the work context in your IDE.
- Open a command dialog in your IDE to apply commands to issues in YouTrack.
- Access YouTrack issues from the VCS history and comments in Java code. These references to issue IDs are automatically formatted as links to YouTrack. This mimics the functionality of the Issue Navigation plugin, so you don't have to enable it separately.
In addition, this plugin enables the Open in IDE feature in YouTrack.
The list of issues that is pulled from your YouTrack server is cached locally in your IDE. This means that you can view issues even when offline.
Install the YouTrack Integration Plugin
Perform this setup directly in your IDE. You do not need to configure anything in YouTrack. You can configure the plugin settings independently for different projects in your IDE.
To install the YouTrack Integration Plugin:
- Open a project in your IDE.
- Access the Plugin settings.
- For Windows and Linux, open the Plugins. dialog and select
- For macOS, open the Plugins. dialog and select
- Click the Browse repositories button.
- Select the YouTrack Integration Plugin from the list.
- Click the Install button.
- The plugin is installed in your IDE.
- Restart the IDE to apply changes for the plugin.
- The YouTrack Integration Plugin is installed in your IDE.
To configure the YouTrack Integration Plugin:
- Select the YouTrack tool window. If your Tool Buttons menu is hidden, select .
- Click the Configure link.
- Click the Add server button and select YouTrack.
- Configure the connection to your YouTrack server:
Setting Description Server URL Enter the URL of your YouTrack server. Username Enter the username of your YouTrack user account. Password Enter the password for your YouTrack user account. Search Enter a search query that returns the issues that you want to set as tasks in your IDE.
- Click the Test button to test the connection to the server.
- Select the Commit Message tab.
- Enter placeholders for issue properties to set the default text for your commit messages.
- Click the OK button.
- Your IDE is configured to connect to your YouTrack server.
View Issues in the YouTrack Tool Window
The YouTrack Integration Plugin adds a YouTrack tool window to your IDE.
The tool window is divided into two panes:
- The left pane displays a list of issues that match the search criteria from your Server settings. You can edit this search query at any time in the input field at the top of the tool window. The list supports two levels of detail.
- In one-line view, you see the issue priority, ID, summary, and the date and time of the last update.
- In compact view, the values for custom fields are also displayed.
- The right pane displays the issue detail. Here, you can find the issue ID, summary, tags, issue links, issue description, comments, and attachments. Descriptions and comments in YouTrack wiki markup are
The toolbar to the left of the tool window provides access to the following actions:
|Refresh||Pulls updates from your YouTrack server. All issues that match the search query are displayed in the tool window.|
|Add Comment||Opens the Apply Command dialog with the |
|Open Command Window||Opens the Apply Command dialog. Here, you can enter a command to update an issue. For a complete list of commands, see Command Reference.|
|Open Task||Sets the selected issue as the active task. All of the changes that you make in the code are associated with the issue that is selected as the current task.|
|Copy Issue Link||Copies the URL of the selected issue to the clipboard.|
|Open in Browser||Opens the selected issue in your default web browser.|
|Analyze Stacktrace||Opens a stacktrace from the issue description in the Analyze Stacktrace dialog.|
|Pin Issue||Opens the selected issue in a separate tool window tab.|
|Toggle Presentation||Expands and collapses the list of issues in the tool window. The two views that are supported in the tool window are similar to the One-line view and Compact view settings on the issues list in YouTrack.|
|Configure Servers||Opens the Servers settings dialog. Here, you can modify the search criteria, add another YouTrack server, or modify your default commit message.|
Search for Issues in the List
To search for a specific issue, select the tool window and start typing. The first issue that matches your search query is highlighted in the list.
Open Issues as Tasks in Your IDE
Like the Task Management integration, the YouTrack Integration Plugin lets you open an issue as a task and set your current work context.
To define the work context:
- Open the YouTrack tool window.
- Select an issue from the list.
- Click the Open Task icon.
- Set the parameters for the new task. The following options are supported for task management:
Option Description Update issue state When enabled, updates the value for a custom field that stores a state type to the selected value in the drop-down list. Clear current context When enabled, clears the current context.
If your project is connected to a version control system, a set of options for VCS operations are also available. These options vary by version control system. For additional information, refer to the documentation for your IDE.
- Click the OK button.
- The new task is set as your work context.
- The active task is marked with a star icon in the issue list.
Apply Commands to Issues
The YouTrack Integration Plugin lets you apply commands to issues directly from your IDE. To open the Apply Command dialog in your IDE:
- Click the Execute YouTrack command button in the toolbar.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Y (⌘ + Shift + Y on macOS).
The Apply Command dialog works exactly as it does in YouTrack. For more information, see Commands.
Open Stacktraces in Your IDE
YouTrack automatically recognizes and formats Java and C# stacktraces that are inserted into an issue description or comment.
When the stacktrace is formatted, references to source code and other issues are set as links. Click these links to open the target reference in your IDE.