Create and Edit Issues
If your project team uses YouTrack, the first thing you'll probably do is create an issue or two. If you've read the quick start guide, you already know how easy it is. On this page, you'll find a little more information about how to create an issue, add an attachment, and update existing issues.
Create an Issue
Any time you need to report a problem or define a task for yourself or another member of your project time, create an issue for it.
To create an issue:
- Press Alt + Insert (Ctrl + N for OS X), or click the Create Issue button in the toolbar.
- In the Project drop-down list, select the project for the issue.
- Enter an issue summary and description in the corresponding input fields. You can use wiki syntax to format text in the issue description. Common wiki markup styles are shown above the input field. For a complete list of markup definitions, click the more link.
- Assign values to the custom fields. Default custom fields include the issue type, priority, and subsystem.
The following options are available:
- Select values for each field in the sidebar.
- Open the Apply Command dialog and set the values for multiple custom fields in a single command. To open the Apply Command dialog, press Ctrl + Alt + J.
- To attach an image to the issue, click Attach button in the toolbar and select an option. For details, see Create and Edit Issues below.
- Do one of the following:
Attach a File or Screenshot
Sometimes, words are not enough. To describe an issue in more detail, you can attach resources such as log files and screenshots to the issue.
To attach a file or screenshot to an issue:
- Click the Attach button in the toolbar.
- Select one of the following options:
Option Description Attach File Select a file from your local directory and attach it to the issue. Attach File Privately Select one or more files from your local directory and set the visibility of the attachments for a specific group. Use this option when the attachments contain information that should be restricted to a specific user group. Attach Image and Edit Select, drop, or paste an image and open it in the image editor. For more information, see Edit Images.
For more information about attaching files or screenshots to an issue, see Attach Files.
Edit an Existing Issue
Nobody's perfect. If you want to rewrite the issue summary or description, you can change these at any time. All changes are recorded and displayed on the History tab. There are a few properties that you cannot update, like the issue ID, reporter, and creation date. These properties are saved by YouTrack and cannot be overwritten.
To edit an existing issue:
You can also apply changes to multiple issues with commands. For more information, see Commands.