A role in YouTrack is a set of permissions. Roles are assigned to users and groups on a per-project basis. Users inherit roles based on their membership in a group, but can also have roles that are assigned directly.
- For a description of each role and a list of default permissions, see Default Roles.
- For a comparison of the default permissions granted to default roles, see Permissions Comparison for Default Roles
A team role is just a role with a special flag. The team flag elevates the visibility of a role assignment by adding users with team roles to the list of users in a project team. You can toggle this flag for any role in the system.
This flag is meant to highlight roles that represent the functional roles performed by the users who work together on a project.
- The basic project team consists of a team lead and a group of developers. If you have defined more granular roles that grant access to specific resources for team members with different responsibilities, consider using the team flag for these roles. When you add this role to a group in a project, each member of this group is shown on the team list in the project.
- This flag is not intended for use with roles that are assigned to administrators or supervisors. These users may have access to a project, but do not take part in day-to-day development efforts.
The following example illustrates how users with different team role assignments are shown on the project team.
Pay attention to the following situations:
- When you assign a team role to a user in the Global project, the user has access that is defined by this role in every project in the system. However, this user is not added to the project team. The same situation applies when you assign a team role to a group in the Global project.
- Unless you really want every user to appear in the project team for all projects in YouTrack, don't assign team roles to the All Users group. The same guideline applies to the Registered Users group.